Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Bad Guys

Norah has a unique take on many things, which is often very funny.

When she intentionally disobeys requests like "Don't hit your brother", we have a tendency to tell her that we are "not very happy with her right now,"instead of saying that we are mad. She knows what this means and has claimed the phrase as her own. When we disobey her requests for candy or toys she furrows her brow, crosses her arms and says "I'm not very happy with you right now."
When Norah first started watching movies she got confused by the villain's mean and aggressive behavior. We didn't really know how to explain it, so we told her the villain was a "badguy" and that he/she is not acting nice. She is now constantly on the lookout for "badguys" wherever we go. When Jeff corrects her behavior he is occasionally told, "Daddy, you're a baaad guuuyy!"

The morning after Halloween, the first thing Norah did was grab her jack-o-lantern candy bucket and tell me that she was ready to go trick or treating. I tried explaining that we only do that once a year, but I'm sure that made no sense to a two year old. Needless to say I was not a very popular person. She didn't throw a fit, but instead acted as though I had crushed her heart. At that point I was ready to take her house to house that morning. As I was fixing breakfast, I noticed she had climbed up onto the stool and was messing with the teeth of the jack-o-lantern. She wasn't hurting anything so I let it go, only to hear her say "Hey! Pumpkin, you bit me! I'm not very happy with you right now. You go to time out!" At least she was taking her bad mood out on a pumpkin and not me or Justin!

We have begun talking to Norah about God and all his creations. Not anything big or profound, just a little game where I ask them "Who made the sun/trees/sky/clouds/animals/etc.?" Both kids will respond with "God!" although Norah cracked me up when I asked her who made the moon. She very emphatically informed me that an elephant did. Not sure where that came from but it totally cracked me up! The next day, we were driving to pick up Jeff and I heard her say from the back seat, "God made the sun, God made the sky, and God made ME!!"

Love it!

No comments: